How much does it cost?
The replacement cost for a Ford Focus alternator varies between $400 to $700 on average depending on your year model, where you’re located, the amperage output of your new / remanufactured alternator and whether you get it done at a dealership or at a local mechanic. The suggested cost here includes the cost of the alternator at the lower end of the price range plus labor. A new alternator would cost you about $200 to $300 whereas a remanufactured one would cost about $100 to $150. Also if you are going to replace other things like the alternator pigtail, air duct, voltage regular or cable then the cost may be a bit higher.
How much time does it take?
The time taken to replace the alternator is usually around 1 to 1.5 hours.
Where is it located?
The alternator on a Ford Focus is located under the belt tensioner.
How much would a rebuild kit cost?
A rebuild alternator kit for the Ford Focus would cost around $20 to $25.
|MODEL YEAR||Alternator Cost||TOTAL REPLACEMENT COST(PARTS + LABOR)|
|2000 – 2006||$110 – $370||$400 – $450||$500 – $600|
|2007 – 2010||$150 – $300||$450 – $500||$550 – $650|
|2011 – 2012||$245 – $300||$550 – $600||$650 – $750|
|2013 – 2015||$260 – $300||$570 – $620||$670 – $770|
Instruction To Replace / Install An Alternator On A Ford Focus:
1. First disconnect the battery cable and remove the 10 mm bolt on the passenger’s side to release the water bottle.
2. Move the water bottle and the power steering reservoir out of the way.
3. Underneath the car, remove the two 10 mm bolts that hold the cover in place. Inside, you’ll find the belt tensioner and a 15 mm wrench that you can turn clockwise to loosen the belt.
4. Now pull the belt off the A/C compressor as well as the alternator pulley and push it aside.
5. Unto the bolt that holds the bracket to the wiring harness.
6. Loosen the bolts that hold the alternator in place and also disconnect the connector that connects to the wire harness.
7. Disconnect the power connector and any other wires that may be in the way.
8. Now remove the old alternator, put in the new one and connect everything back again.